Saturday, February 17, 2007

Roughing It by Mark Twain

During the last several months, I have wished I would journal some of the things that have given me particular interest in the different books I have read. With the possibility of sharing these thoughts with others who might like to read along with me, it may happen. I started reading Roughing It by Mark Twain a short while ago. It belongs to Chris or Stacy, in whose house we are currently living (house-sitting). I'm not sure if I will be able to finish it before we leave, I may have to purchase my own copy.

Toward the end of chapter eleven the author writes about courage. Specifically, Slade, about to be hanged, crying and praying... is this a reason to say he was a coward? The author says many a coward have died without a word and that Slade showed by his actions when he was free that he was "a man of peerless bravery." It is true that people look at the response of those about to die and judge whether or not they are strong or weak, brave or cowardly, but I do not think that is what is represented. Being ready to die is not a matter of bravery, but a matter of the soul. What we believe happens when this body dies defines our response in facing our mortality. There must be consideration made for a person who is leaving responsibilities, perhaps a parent who longs to raise their children, and there is a fear of the unknown in specifics (will there be pain, etc.), but when there is no question of our salvation, and death is not the end, there is peace. As for cowards dying well, there is also the possibility of stupidity.

Last night I read chapter fourteen, in which he is talking about his experiences with the Mormons in Salt Lake City. I also read the appendices in which he gives a Mormon history and relates the Mountain Meadow masacre. I knew some about both, it was interesting. I do not want to debate the rights and wrongs of the Mormon religion. We cannot judge a community by the actions of a few. Then again, the actions of its leadership says a little more. Then again, look at the leaders, past and present, of this country, or even other groups... The beliefs of a religion should be examined closely, if you are placing your soul in them, but there are good and bad people everywhere.

No comments: