Thursday, February 22, 2007

Family Closeness

I find myself wishing I had a closer relationship with my relatives. I want to know what they think about things. I want to know that we are like-minded. The problem is, we probably are not and it is perhaps easier to not know.

I moved away from the area where most of my family lives when I was 20 years old (that sounds so young, 38 now). I know that I needed to leave the area to get away from outside influences, but it was so hard to leave my family. I miss the way things were with them. They are so loud and full of laughter. God gave me a wonderful family of my own and close friends in exchange, but oh how I long to be a part of my father's family, too. I realize, however, that I have grown apart from them. We will be seeing them in less than two weeks and I feel secure in their love for me, but will our conversation be superficial? Will there be times of deep and open communication? When I seriously think about that desire I know it doesn't matter. I will enjoy the time with them (communication does not equal understanding), and I will know them better when I leave for having spent time with them, and I hope they will know me better, too.

No comments: