Saturday, October 11, 2008

Great Events, Difficult Feelings, No Pictures

This has been one of the most difficult weeks for me that I have experienced in a long time, but I'm not going to get into that. There were a couple of especially good things I will tell you about. My dad, Ray, and step-mother, Eunice, invited me over for dinner to celebrate my birthday last Sunday. My birthday was not last Sunday, that was the available date for dinner. It was an honor for me. Eunice's son (Tim and wife Heather) and daughter (Dorothy, husband Ryan, son Cash) were also there, just for my birthday. I've been to their home when all of the same people were there, but never to celebrate me. I enjoyed it tremendously. Dorothy and Heather are both teachers and I enjoy hearing about their experiences. Cash is nearing 18 months and always a joy; the other children especially enjoy interacting with him. He is calling everyone Daddy (I guess a while back everyone was Mommy) and Dorothy said it was a little embarrassing when at the toy store every man was greeted with a loud "Daddy!" I hope they don't mind my sharing that story. After a delicious dinner Eunice brought out a huge chocolate cake with candles and they all sang "Happy Birthday" to me. I can't remember the last time I had a birthday party with a crowd singing to me and I blew out candles. It was quite a treat.

Then, just a couple of nights later I went to the Pregnancy Resource Center where I lead a Parenting Class. I was visiting with the director and a couple of others that work/help on Tuesday nights when they said, "Shall we go in the back?" I figured they were having some little meeting and headed up to put my stuff away and get ready for class. They stopped me right away and called me in where they had a chocolate cake, candles and began singing Happy Birthday! I turned 40 this year. I don't think too much about age, but it was a big year, a new decade. It was nice to celebrate with so many.

Thursday was Greg's 40th birthday. He had to go into work at 3:00 AM, but he came home just after noon so we went out to lunch. We ran a couple of errands and then came home for a relaxing afternoon. Friday our nephew, Keith, came over to hang out with us. We were just finishing cleaning up the house when he got here and we began getting ready to go to the library. Greg had gone into work at 3:00 AM again (third morning in a row) and got home just a little while before we were ready to leave. I thought he would prefer a nap to a walk, but he wanted to enjoy the time with Keith also and we all went to the library together. We bought some pizza that afternoon, ate chocolate chip cookies and played some darts. We were sorry when Keith needed to leave to go back to my dad's where he was staying before heading up to Fort Lewis today. We are so glad he has transferred there from Kansas as we hope we will get to see him occasionally. We are hopeful that Evan, Keith's brother, will also be stationed at Fort Lewis when he arrives home from Iraq.

It is interesting that I had a difficult week with so many great things happening, but it was. I could hardly force myself to do anything (I didn't do much) and the depression and hopelessness was all encompassing. I allowed myself a lot more sleep, I prayed, and I hoped that some time would pull me back together. I guess it worked. I can tell that I'm feeling better and I'm looking forward to more rational feelings.

I am sorry I have no pictures of any of these great events. I will try to not let that happen again.

No comments: