Thursday, March 5, 2009

Morning Tea


Nearly every morning I get up early and make tea in this teapot and drink it from this cup. Greg bought me both though at different times. The teapot has a... strainer (infuser?) that sits inside and I use bulk tea that I buy at New Seasons. An advantage to living in the city about which I have commented to Greg on more than one occasion, being able to buy expensive teas in small quantities that are affordable. I enjoy a lot of milk in my tea, so while I prepare the tea and it infuses I warm milk in my cup which is sitting in warm water. While drinking this favorite brew I read my Bible and then write in my journal. (A little irrelevant note: When I took typing in High School I was taught to space twice after ending punctuation in a sentence. It now causes me immense aggravation not only with the typing program the children use on the computer and I sometimes entertain myself with, but even in these entries as it will cause odd spacing at times. Apparently the correctness of such actions has changed, yet the habit is instinctive and I wonder if I will ever gain the ability to only space once after ending a sentence.) I have frequently kept a journal or diary in my years of life, but after hearing my dear friend Jennifer talk about a prayer journal years ago I decided to try one. It was amazing. Have I written about it before? Doesn't matter. I would write out my prayers and it was a life changing experience. I no longer daydreamed while praying, or if I did I was able to remember what I had been praying about. It was rare. More importantly, I thought more seriously about what I was praying and I listened. I listened for God's voice giving me ideas to respond to my difficulties. He did give me ideas, often written on the same pages where the questions and requests were made. My journal now is a combination. I include facts about what happens during the days or plans, recording the events of our lives, but always there are requests and questions to which God still responds. It is pleasure to no end sitting in the silent house as everyone sleeps, drinking hot tea, thinking, writing, communing with God. Any who know me well know that my favorite thing to do is to sit and think. I have often thought of it as a bad habit as it will keep me from doing needed work. I know now that it is a God given blessing and I pray that all of my children will have a love for sitting and thinking. (I know Henry does, that is why his math takes so long to get done :0)) How can we hear God's still soft voice if we are not listening? Pray with me for a desire to hear God's voice that is so strong we never stop taking the time to be still and listen.

No comments: