Monday, March 5, 2007

Schedules...

This isn't the blog about our trip so I'm not going to write about the last week, which was so busy getting ready to leave that I never sat at the computer.

I can remember when I was feeling frustrated at never getting done any of the things I wanted to do. I began scheduling and it wasn't 100% successful, but it was better. It's been years of working with schedules, they are always changing, and I always wondered when I would arrive at the one that would help me to accomplish everything I had planned. Eventually I realized I never would, that it is a striving that is healthy and good, but arriving isn't the goal, only continuing to strive. As in my striving to be more like Christ, I will never arrive, but I will improve and grow, if I continue to strive.

Now, we have made a huge change in the way we are living and schedules have no place here. What will help me to accomplish the things that need to be done? I have been thinking about it for some time and realize we will work when we get a chance. We were in the van all day yesterday and I had the kids do their math. We have worked diligently at teaching them to be obedient and they have learned well. It is so wonderful to tell your child to do his math and he gets his books and works on it. There is sometimes a look of disappointment, sometimes it takes them a while to get it done because they are looking out the window and dreaming more than working, but they sit with it until it is done and that is what I asked. It is easier to work when you know that is what you have to do at the same time everyday, but when you have to suddenly stop playing and work whenever the voice of authority calls, that is a challenge for any of us. We are excessively proud of our children.

No comments: