Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thoughts From My Devotions


I've been reading about Moses during my morning tea in my chronological Bible. How God talked with him face to face as a man talks with a friend. The Bible says Moses was humble. I know in the past I've thought he was cowardly at the burning bush when he tells God he can't go to Pharaoh, even after such incredible miraculous signs. But, then I thought about how often we read about him questioning God, reasoning with God, almost arguing with God. He may have been wrong to stand up to God at the burning bush and not want to go, but it could not have been easy. The Almighty God is talking to you out of a burning bush, performing miraculous signs involving you and you argue about the orders being given. Certainly not cowardly. Later, God wants to do away with all the Isrealites when they blatantly create their own god and worship it and Moses reasons with God and persuades Him to spare them. And there is so much more. It is an amazing story. It must have been an amazing experience. I can hardly wait to hear more about it someday.

Yesterday I read about when God was giving Moses the law and said not to worship any other gods, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. And I thought at first, jealousy doesn't seem like a very good character trait. But, why? Then I realized that if we were good and faithful and trustworthy it wouldn't be a good trait, but we are not. So often we are the unfaithful wife, turning from God and allowing our worship to fall on the profane and undeserving. He is jealous because He loves us and desires us to love Him most of all. And why should he not? He sacrificed His only son, Jesus, for us. And not a clean and easy sacrifice, but torturous and painful and humiliating. Is it wrong for Him to demand that we believe it?

No comments: